From a most recent couple of days, I was thinking about to make a straightforward and clear instructional exercise on LoopBack Framework, some of you may definitely think about this and possibly some of you wondering what is it.
These are the things we are going to see in the LoopBack
- What is LoopBack?
- How does LoopBack work?
- What are the benefits of LoopBack?
- What are the dependencies for LoopBack?
Nowadays Node.js is so popular for application development, many big organisations are building their application in the Node.js and on the Node.js development side, the Node package manager (NPM) is growing so fast, I don’t know if you guys believe or not but there are approximately 380,000 hosted modules are available, you can see on module counts, Let’s take a look at LoopBack and it’s capabilities as we have listed above.
1. What is LoopBack?
The LoopBack is an open source API framework built by San Mateo and Maintaining by StrongLoop and IBM. StrongLoop is also an important contributor to the Node.js and maintainers of Express, Express is one of the most popular Node frameworks used by many developers and organizations.
To be the LoopBack success as the Node.js open-source framework, StrongLoop, and IBM is providing the tools for the LoopBack projects. LoopBack includes the GUI based tools from StrongLoop Arc. IBM API Connect also providing the command-line tool with API management features.
2. How does LoopBack work?
LoopBack is for creating the API’s and connecting them with the different databases (Data sources). LoopBack is Build on top of Express, You provide the data model definition to LoopBack and It will give you the fully functional end to end REST API’s which can be called by any client (Web, Android, iOS etc..).
I know you guys might thinking that it really provides the fully functional API?.
Well, Yes! it does, you no need to write the code to connect to the database and you no need to write down your own REST API.
LoopBack provides the REST API’s based on the model definition and provides the API explorer to test and validate the model and there is a data browser to see the results very easily.
You can see the working in more details in LoopBack flow image.
Image Source: LoopBack Offical Site [loopback[dot]io]
3. What are the benefits of LoopBack?
Let’s talk about benefits of loopback as follows:
- Easily and fast creates a dynamic end to end API:
- You provide the database models definitions to LoopBack and LoopBack generate the API’s for that model with the CRUD operations and you can access it from any Devices.
- Because of direct API, there is an enough time to work on application logic and requirement development.
- At the time of creating the database model definitions, we need to define the relationship among them.
- The LoopBack have the Role-based Access(ACL’s) to each model for better control to deal with the CRUD operations.
- Build in OAuth and user registration models.
- Build in API explorer to do the testing and see the results.
- Connect Device and Browser to data sources and services.
- LoopBack Supports a MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Postgres and others databases, we just need to configure the data sources file in the LoopBack project.
- LoopBack also provide the REST API’s services like Google Map API’s and this will easily accessible from any Device or Site (Android, iOS & Web)
- It supports the NoSQL style queries for Relational data sources.
- Available for Android, iOS and AngularJS SDK to easily create a client application.
- Easily persist the data on the client with database API.
- It will provide Native Mobile and Browser SDK’s
- Add-on Components.
- LoopBack provides the third party login API’s like Google, Facebook, GitHub, etc.
- Use StrongLoop Arc to easily edit, deploy and monitor the any LoopBack Applications.
- For creating, modifying and need to do CRUD operations on LoopBack models and data sources StrongLoop Arc GUI based Tool.
- Its provide the Start, Stop and Restart functional on GUI itself.
4. What are the dependencies for LoopBack?
First Install the Node.js as LoopBack is a Node.js based framework, it already has the NPM with it, with the help of NPM we can install the other dependent libraries in our LoopBack project.
Now you know the important of the LoopBack and let me know your queries and I will answer that. Next post will contain the installation and example on the LoopBack.
Let’s make this as QA session. Feel free to ask any doubt.